If you are not sure how to start a blog, no worries. We have your back.
Here’s a step-by-step guide that will show you how to create an awesome blog with less than 30 minutes. We assure you, you won’t need super tech skills. With basic computer skills and this free guide you’ll be fine.
Not sure what are the benefits of blogging? And if it can serve your business goals?
Let’s dive into it.
Why To Start a Blog For Your Business?
There are many reasons you want to start blogging.
Yet, if you a business owner, we encourage you to create a platform, start blogging, and build loyalty with valuable information.
We can name 4 main reasons why you should create a blog and start promoting your business:
- A blog showcases your brand identity
- It builds relationships with customers, prospects and industry authorities
- Blogging drives traffic to your website
- It helps convert web traffic into leads
- It drives long-term results
Related content: 5 Benefits of blogging for your business
Now, we want to share with you some evidence based on statistics, according to Optinmonster.
- Websites that also have a blog are shown to have 434% more indexed pages.
- Companies who blog get 97% more links to their websites.
- Businesses that blog experience twice as much email traffic as businesses who don’t.
How To Start a Blog in 7 Easy Steps:
Step #1 – Find a topic for your blog
To find your sweat spot, you should mix your skills with your passion.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What am I talented at?
- What skills have I built up over the years?
- What’s the main topic of my career?
- What are your hobbies? What’s the one you are more knowledgeable?
Once you answer the above questions, you’ll have an idea of what topics you are interested in.
Said that, if you are a business owner, you might consider the core thought Marcus Sheridan had back in 2008 when his company was at the brink of a bankruptcy. “Marcus, just answer people’s questions.”
So, it’s your turn. Answer your client’s questions. And you’ll succeed!
If you haven’t started your business, use Google Keyword Planner tool, so you can get some information about what people search for a specific niche.
Step #2 – Choose your domain name
Your domain name matters.
And it’s a decision you have to make before setting your presence online. Otherwise, it’s going to be a heck to change it—with downtime, and traffic loss.
You might want to consider these key points when choosing your domain name:
- Choose your top-level domain extension wisely and strategically
There are plenty: .com, .org, .store, .photography, .co, .nyc, etc.
If .com is not taken, we recommend you take this one. Everyone is familiar with it.
2. Easy to pronounce
Make sure your domain is easy to pronounce and spell.
At the end, word-of-mouth is a powerful marketing tactic.
3. Keep it short
If it’s short, it’s easy to remember and type.
4. Pick a unique name—pick your name.
If it’s a personal blog, pick your name. For your company, your company’s name will be great.
Step # 3 – Sign up for your web host
Choosing your web host is perhaps the most important decision you’ll make.
You want a site that is reliable, easy to use, and something crucial, speedy.
Actually, SiteGround ranks near the top of all web hosting companies for both uptime (99.99%) and speed (457 ms). That’s why it’s the one we use and strongly recommend.
Step #4 – Install WordPress
- You’ll encounter some boundaries at the time of blogging.
- And your URL name will be “www.yoursitename.wordpress.com
On the other hand, with WordPress.org, you can custom your blog as you wish. And it’s free! This is the way to go.
Step #5 – Pick up a WordPress theme
You can design your web as you wish. And again, you can do it by yourself, with no technical expertise.
A WordPress theme is a template that you can use to change the look of your site.
There are many free options:
- Once you logged in, go to “Appearance” on the left sidebar menu.
- From the Appearance section, check “Themes.”
- To search for themes, click the “Add New” button at the top of the page.
- Scroll down and pick the one you like the most.
Step #6 – Install WordPress plugins
To extend the functionality of your site, you have to add some plugins.
The majority of plugins are free. Check out the following:
- Yoast SEO – Optimize your site for the right keywords for your audience.
- Elementor Website Builder – Design high-end pages with no limitations.
- WP Super Cache – Speed your site significantly.
- Insert Headers and Footers by WPBeginner – Innsert code like Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, etc. to your WordPress site header and footer.
- Nelio Content – Schedule, create, and promote the content of your blog by automatically creating social publications on social media platforms.
Step #7 – Write and publish content
Once your framework is complete, it’s time you start actually blogging.
- Once you logged in, go to “Posts” on the left sidebar menu
- Click on the Post item, and select “Add new”
And you are ready to write and publish your first post.
Now that you’ve started blogging, we want to share some recommendations with you:
- Post as often as you can. Two or three times per week.
- Optimize your blog posts for SEO
- Find your voice and be authentic.
- Share your content on social media platforms.
Related content: 10 Tips For Writing Effective SEO Blog Posts
You’ve learned how to start a blog this year.
It’s important you get started, and don’t be discouraged by the blogosphere.
Write consistently, and you’ll succeed quicker than you think.
Let us know if you need some more help. We will be happy to guide you through it.